We’re wired.

So even though the date of my posts are showing August, the pictures I’m posting are way back from the beginning of July. Please forgive me if I leave out steps, forget what order in which they happened, etc…I’m doing my best! Also, know that we are much further along than what I’m posting now…I’m just trying to get caught up πŸ˜›
I fully intend to blog frequently about the trailer, about stuff we are doing around the house (which is minimal at this point :-P), and about preschool with the kiddos at home this fall. I know I won’t be consistent about “school” with the kids if I don’t talk about it somewhere with someone …and since I tend toward the introvert side of my personality these days…it’s going to be talked about in blogging world πŸ™‚

Back to the trailer. Nathan replaced the guts of the inlet on the exterior…for obvious reasons.

Rusted.
After.

In 1956, things were done a little differently. Surprising I know. (And like I even know what I’m talking about here. My mom was born 1956. I was not even an idea.) Anywho back to my point…the fuses and wires were just chillin’ out in the open. Not something that would exactly be up to OHSA standards these days. And fuses back then were nothing like they are now. Nathan considered removing the fuses altogether, but after a resounding “no” from both our nostalgic fathers, he left them, but added a much needed safety feature:

Cool looking fuses though, right?

A box with a door. He also added two outlets because he’s awesome and knows camping to me means using a curling iron. 
Other stuff we he did that I don’t know much about:

Dinette demo

 I won’t bore you with all the pictures, but we measured the dinette bench frames and took pictures of every measurement so that he could rebuild them the same way/same sizes. If you are/will be doing a trailer fix-up yourself the best piece of advice I can offer: take pictures of everything! Even if you don’t think you’ll need to, take a picture of it. This is like a giant puzzle. A giant puzzle without a box with a picture of your end result on it. Your only guide to put your puzzle back to together is your pictures! I digress…back to the trailer πŸ™‚

Water damaged panel removed to expose wiring, propane line, and water damaged insulation.
Ready for re-wiring. new insulation, and new paneling.
While in the demo mood, he removed the countertop, propane heater, and the oven “cabinet”.
Rear paneling of. More insulation to replace and wiring to work on.
What he had to do to work on the back side. He also re-sealed the seams while this was happening.
Insert redneck comment here πŸ˜€
Zipped back up and ready for water πŸ™‚

 So let’s talk about the oven real quick. I love the look of the oven. Practical? Probably not. But I couldn’t part with it. I think it fits in with the trailer too well. We will use the stove top for sure, but I don’t think there will be much lovin comin from that oven friends.
Here’s what we started with:

Yuck. I scrubbed and scrubbed this bad boy. We pressure washed the crap outta this thing (literally, there was mouse turds in the insulation INSIDE the oven walls. Nasty.) So we took it all apart, scrubbed some more, replaced the insulation between the walls, and Nathan gave it a new paint job in the rusty spots.
Clean. Vinegar and Dawn saves the day again. (The grass didn’t like it so much, but hey, it grew back. NBD)
Can you hear the angels singing? I can πŸ™‚
We got the propane line all hooked up, checked for leaks, and tested ‘er out. (Yes, I did stand in the garage initially…just in case) Lighting the oven for the first time!
Now we’re cookin with propane!
We love it when stuff we fix works πŸ™‚

So back to the wiring. I think this was one of the most frustrating steps for Nathan. Mainly because he cut through some wires didn’t know where the wires were in the first place. I have a lot of pictures of wires. I don’t know what they all go to, what they do, or anything about them really. (But I will say it again- take pictures of everything.) He bought new light covers at Ranch & Home, finished up the wiring, and now it was time for the true test, hook up the Trailblazer and see if our little trailer will be road worthy-

Getting the old lights out/wires exposed
New lights lined up, ready for install.
Installed, ready for the big test!
Let there be light! I think Nathan almost cried when it all worked. Almost.

This post is too long, so I’ll reveal the trailer name in the next post. Thanks for your patience πŸ™‚

Press on!
Jaimi

Comment away, friend!